Have you ever said yes to something, only to dread the obligation when it comes due? I have, many-many times. I recently read a blog post by Seth Godin on saying “no.” Here are his thoughts (republished with permission):
Seth Godin: On saying “no”
– If you’re not proud of it, don’t serve it.
– If you can’t do a good job, don’t take it on.
– If it’s going to distract you from the work that truly matters, pass.
– If you don’t know why they want you to do this, ask.
– If you need to hide it from your mom, reconsider.
– If it benefits you but not the people you care about, decline.
– If you’re going along with the crowd, that’s not enough.
– If it creates a habit that costs you in the long run, don’t start.
– If it doesn’t move you forward, hesitate then walk away.
Thanks, Seth. I’ll respectfully add a couple of my own to your list:
– If you’re going to say no, do it now. “Maybe” is not fair to the asker.
– If you’re saying yes out of fear of offending the asker, say no, you’ll grow stronger.
– If you’re unsure, sleep on it, then say no in the morning.
Copy and pasted from:
The Journal, a monthly newsletter from Kevin Rose.
Quite nice best CSS practises.
I just read pretty good article about reasons why are good programmers leaving and why others staying.
How To Keep Your Best Programmers | DaedTech.
If you ever wondered how to check for file if exist while you were using carrierwave gem with storage on amazon S3 here is how.
Assuming you have User class:
class User < ActiveRecord::Base
mount_uploader :avatar, AvatarUploader
and uploader class
class AvatarUploader < CarrierWave::Uploader::Base
then only thing that you have to do is this
user = User.first
thats it. I kind of assumed that it should be simple avatar.exist? but you have to get fog instance of file to be able to access exists? method.
This article is quite good, but as every article you have to make up your min about it. Don’t follow every advice blindly. Think and then you practice. Remember, start behaving like someone who you would like to be and then you will become that person.
via 9 Keys to Business & Career Success | Inc.com.
I had conversation with @mattwilliams about weather and how it would be great to have some tools that will tell you if it will be warmer / colder than yesterday. So you can decide what to wear or what to bring (like umbrella) with you to work. So I build it and you can try it here. Let me know what do you think.
From developer point of view:
Whole thing is build in latest rails. I’m using Google API (that have no documentation) for weather feed, Twitter for messaging and for authentication. The whole thing is hosted on Heroku.
Davis was a man of few words. When he did speak, his words often had a similar effect to a hand grenade being lobbed into the room. In 1987, he was invited to a White House dinner by Ronald Reagan. Few of the guests appeared to know who he was. During dinner, Nancy Reagan turned to him and asked what he’d done with his life to merit an invitation. Straight-faced, Davis replied: “Well, I’ve changed the course of music five or six times. What have you done except fuck the president?”
via Miles Davis: his wardrobe, his wit, his way with a basketball … | Music | guardian.co.uk.